Frequently asked questions…
What is Direct Response?
Direct Response Television (DRTV) is TV advertising that asks consumers to respond directly to a company by calling an 800 number, sending a text message, or by visiting a web site. This is a form of Direct Response Marketing. In the early days of DRTV, this was nearly always to purchase the product. However, now many consumers watch but choose to make purchases at retail stores. Typically for every unit sold on TV, a higher number will be sold in retail.
How long are Direct Response commercials?
- There are two types of direct response television commercials – short form and long form. Short form DRTV commercials are two minutes or less in length. Long form DRTV commercials are longer than two minutes. In 1988 the term “infomercial” came into vogue. Typically, a long form infomercial is 28 minutes, 30 seconds in length. Long form infomercials are often used to create awareness and to educate consumers about products. These products frequently have a higher price point.
- How long does it take to produce an infomercial?
An infomercial can be produced in as little as four weeks for a basic talk show format program. Crafting a high-end cosmetic show can take 6 months or more. Generally a show can be produced in 12 to 18 weeks from the start of the writing process through to the final edit.
- How much does it cost to produce an infomercial?
The cost of infomercial production varies. Beauty and fitness infomercials tend to have higher production values and generally cost more than infomercials for nutraceutical products that are shot on a set that looks like a TV news show. Infomercial production costs start at about $75,000 and can exceed $500,000. Most infomercials cost between $150,000 and $250,000. Short Form Direct Response commercials typically cost anywhere from $17,000 to $35,000 depending on the creative elements.
- Why not just make a 30 second commercial?
Unlike corporate commercials that only strive for brand recognition, and compete for high cost time slots, Direct Response commercials attempt to elicit a sale then and there. By creating a 2-minute spot you can really demonstrate your product, quickly and clearly explain its benefits, and compare your product with inferior products on the market.
- Why a Long Form Infomercial and not just a 2 minute spot?
Depending upon your price point and your product’s capabilities, usage and benefits
- Who writes your scripts?
We work with a team of in house scriptwriters, and we have a small circle of extremely seasoned writers who have numerous success stories under their belts.
- Do you include testimonials?
A great testimonial is one that is natural and does not feel staged or rehearsed. We believe that credible testimonials are a key element to many infomercial programs. Therefore we create and manage the testimonial pool in house. Selectiing just the right testimonial/s is the key to getting that perfect sound byte.
- Do you produce 2-minute, 60-second and 30-second commercials?
If it is DRTV spot, and features an 800# or web URL, Yes.
- Can you buy media or manage the other aspects of my infomercial campaign?
We work with several of the leading DRTV media companies in the country. Many of our clients look to us to handle multiple facets of their campaigns. Over the years we have built incredible relationships with vendors in every category. All of our vendors experienced, seasoned, and trustworthy.
- Can you manage our infomercial campaign on an ongoing basis?
As part of our initial service we will help you set up your campaign at no cost. Moving forward we charge a nominal fee for on going campaign management. This includes everything from serving as a liaison with the fulfillment company, and analyzing media results, to helping to develop new revenue streams.
- Can you fund my infomercial project?
We do not fund infomercials or spots. We do, however, have relationships with companies that do provide funding. If you are looking for funding, please feel free to call us and we can explore any funding opportunities with you.
- Can you help with product development?
One of our strongest partners develops and manufactures infomercial products for the worldwide market. They have developed and manufactured several products for On The Mark clients.